Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Clovis News-Journal: Friday Night Lights, the end

Clovis lost in the quarterfinals of the state playoffs. It was disappointing in several ways. I've been shooting these kids all season and I really wanted them to go on. Watching the seniors walk off the field knowing that this was probably the last time they would play organized football. It was much more meaningful than last football season when I had not been following just one team.

I was also disappointed that it could have been the last high school football game I shot this season. It made me realize just how much I enjoy shooting football, especially high school.

Apparently the second photo has caused a lot of flak. The paper got several calls complaining that we ran this photo. I think most comments were something like, "this was a huge loss and don't see the emotion of the loss." One person said, "Normally I really like his photos, but if he's just going to give up," or something to that extent.

I really feel these people don't get it. I think they would be happy with a shot of a crying kid on the sidelines.. In a small community like this , what does running a photo like that really gain? My answer is nothing. The photo we ran, in my opinion was the best defeat shot I had. It would have had the score in it, if the scorekeeper wouldn't have erased it off the scoreboard within 5 seconds of the clock hitting zero. Kind of funny since a couple years ago when they won the state title, they kept the score on until spring.

The photo I submitted and we ran tells the greater story. It not just about this loss. It's about these seniors who some have huge family traditions with Wildcat football. Number 26, his brother played, his dad played. Now he will never play football as a Clovis Wildcat again. To me that's the story, not a kid crying on the sidelines.

For me, I'm lucky, I will shoot high school football again. It turns out Portales won and is going to the state finals on Saturday. So that will be my last game of the season. I wish the kids that make up the Clovis Wildcat football team could be so lucky.

1 comment:

Ben McNeely said...

The thrill of victory; the agony of defeat.

I have learned that if people complain about something: If you weren't technically or factually wrong, you win. Let them complain, but they don't have any power in this situation.

This photo is much more iconic then some football player bawling his eyes out with snot dripping down his face. With the backstory of this kid, it makes the photo all the more compelling. And it is simple. You didn't get in his face or intrude on his thoughts, so there is a dignity about it.

Let the townsfolk complain -- they don't know good art when they see it.