Sunday, October 29, 2006

Clovis News-Journal: Living with Autism

I had the opportunity recently to spend the afternoon with a father and his 12 year old autistic daughter, Darian.
Darian was diagnosed with autism at age 3. The first 3 years of her life were pretty normal, but her parents knew something was wrong. She was able to say simple things, like dada and mama. Her dad says, "it was almost as if a light switch was turn off." Since then she hasn't said a word. She spends most of her days moaning and trying to hum.
She is rarely quite. Andrew, her father, quit his job to take care of her because she need constant care. There are a few things that do calm her. Her father rocks with her on the swing in the front lawn. He will also hold her head and hum an E note into her ear. She tries unsuccessfully to recreate this note. "My day is her day. If she has a good day, I have a good day. If she has a bad day, I have a bad day," said Andrew.
Darian wears a soft protective helmet all the time, to protect herself. All the corners and sharp edges in her room are covered with soft padding. Usually she is violent. She bangs her head against the wall, she tries to bit people. Sometimes she is so violent her parents have to wrap her in a blanket and hold her down. After 30-45 minutes a switch flips and she's calm, like nothing happened.

This assignment was one of the best assignments I've done since I've been here. Overall it was hard, butt I was very touched how the father let me into his home and shared his life with me so openly. I was
truly touched by the experience. It made me re-realize that is why I do this job. Not to make pretty photos, but to tell stories. To share some one's life with everyone in way that they will make them better.




No comments: