Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Clovis News-Journal: Day 44 part 1

I had another first today. The son of a family living in town was killed during combat in Afghanistan. I was sent to get some photos of the family. When I got there, I left my camera in the car and wanted to just talk to the family and get their permission before I started taking photos.
I showed up and introduced myself to the father. He told me a little bit about what happened and things they had been dealing with since they found out. After a while I asked the mother if it would be ok if I took some photos. She consented and I got my camera.
The family was very open and actually thanked me for coming when I left. Several times I got somewhat emotional watching what they were going though. When I left, I almost broke down. Not because watching the emotions flow with the family. They let me into their lives at an extremely sensitive time.
I feel honored that they let me tell their story. This was the most emotional assignment I've ever been on. It was also the most rewarding and caused me to see why I'm doing this. I always thought it was because I loved taking pictures and I wanted to tell some stories too.
This was totally about them and their story, their son's story and I was privileged enough to be there to help tell it.

This was a truly special day.

I also shot little league baseball. Thankfully, the last game of the season.

No comments: